Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ceviche

So I guess the middle of winter isn't the best time to post a recipe for
one of my favorite summertime foods. Well, make that one of my
anytime favorite foods. I can eat good ceviche by the bucket.  All I
need is a salty delivery device such as a cracker or corn chip, a couple
of lime wedges and some hot sauce and I'm good to go.   Top that
off with a nice smooth margarita made with a premium reposado
tequila and I will be over in my happy place if you need me.

Ceviche is really more Peruvian than Mexican but its prevalent in
the coastal areas of Mexico.  It's basically fresh seafood cured in
citrus juice.  The acids in the citrus juices will essentially cook the
seafood as it marinates and produce a soft texture and not leave
any sort of fishy taste or smell.  You should always use the freshest
seafood you can find.

As for what type of seafood to use, I prefer either shrimp or a firm
white fish like Mahi Mahi or Orange Roughy.  I recently had ceviche
made from grilled swordfish that was absolutely wonderful but I've
not tried to duplicate it.  You can use pretty much any fish but I try
to stay with the milder varieties.  Scallops also make a good ceviche.

Ingredients

2 filets of fresh Orange Roughy or Mahi Mahi, cut into small chunks
1 1/4 cups fresh squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice (optional)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 ripe Roma tomato, seeded and juice drained, chopped
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, seeded, diced
1/2 Avocado, cut into small chunks
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 lime, cut into wedges
Tortilla Chips or Saltine Crackers
Tabasco or Mexican Hot Sauce.

Method

In a glass bowl add the fish chunks and cover with the citrus juices.
add in the red pepper flakes. Stir, cover with plastic wrap and
store in the refrigerator for 4 hours.

After the fish has marinated for 4 hours it should have turned white
and look like it was cooked. If not then let it sit for another half hour.

Once the fish is done, strain out the juice and move the fish to your
serving dish.Add the tomato, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno and
avocado if using.  Toss everything together. sprinkle with just a little
salt and pepper.  Let it sit for a few minutes for the flavors to blend
then serve with the crackers, hot sauce and your favorite Mexican
beer or tequila cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment