Sunday, November 14, 2010

Menu for the gathering after Dad's Memorial Service

We filled up the funeral home for the Memorial. I had expected that all along.  I wasn't sure just how many would come back to the house afterwards.  I think we topped 50 people, which is what I planned on...thank goodness.   We actually could have fed 60-65 people but the leftovers have been great to snack on.

The menu was:

     3 Mesquite Smoked Turkey Breasts
     4 Mesquite Smoked Pork Tenderloins
     5 lbs Smoked Kielbasa Sausage
     1 - 8 Qt Chafing dish of Roasted Red Potatoes with Garlic & Rosemary
     1 - 8 Qt Chafing dish of Green Bean and Chayote Squash Casserole (ala Grady Spears)
     5 dozen Mrs Baird's Brown-n-Server Rolls (A family staple for as long as I can remember)
     Assorted cheeses, sliced meats, vegetables, dips and finger foods
     Home made Banana Pudding with Cool Whip (of course)
     Iced Tea
     Several people brought desserts and sides.


I still have a little turkey and pork left over along with a few potatoes and green beans.  All of the meats came out really well. You could taste the smoke but it wasn't overbearing.  Grady's green beans are always good and the potatoes were great and made the house smell so good while they were cooking.  It seemed that everyone enjoyed the food. Oh, we put the Banana Pudding out then I turned around and it was gone in the blink of an eye. I tell ya,  us Texans love our Banana Pudding!

I used foil steam table pans to cook with this time and it really saved me on the clean up. Each turkey breast was cooked in its own pan then covered in foil. Same with the vegetables. As things got used up I just stacked up the foil pans. No washing a dozen pans & baking dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment