Friday, September 17, 2010

Favorite Cocktails: Margarita

It's one of the most popular cocktails around but most people just drink whatever the house tequila is. I've gotten to be way too much of a tequila snob for this and I always, always, always call my tequila. If they don't have any decent (by my standards) tequila behind the bar then I just order something else.  I won't get into the tequila rant. Maybe some other time. Lets just get to the drink:

Ingredients

2.5 oz 100% Blue Agave (Reposado or Blanco/Silver) Tequila
2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
1 oz Grand Marnier or Cointreau
.75 oz Agave Nectar
1/3 cup of Ice
Kosher Salt
Large martini style glass,  margarita glass or rocks glass
(My opinion: Never serve a man a margarita in a martini glass)


Method

Add all liquid contents plus ice to a shaker. Shake on its side until the shaker is frosty (30 seconds or so).

Rocks glass:
Rim the glass with lime wedge and dip in the kosher salt. Pour contents of the shaker (ice and all) into the glass.

Martini style glass:
Chill the glass first with ice water. Pour out the water. Rim the glass with a lime wedge and dip in kosher salt.  Strain the contents of the shaker into glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Repeat as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment